New Jersey has adopted the Domestic Partnership Act which grants certain rights to same sex couples or opposite-sex couples over the age of 62.
A “Domestic Partnership” is created by the single act of issuing a Certificate of Domestic Partnership. This “Partnership” creates a relationship that is not equal in all respects to the status of a “marriage,” but rather one which offers several financial benefits that married couples enjoy, including the ability to file a state tax return and to enjoy the rights to have access to and speak for their partners in certain medical crises.
There are no requirements to “solemnize” a Domestic Partnership in order to validate it.
1. Both persons have a common residence and are jointly responsible for each other, as evidence by the
2. Both persons are agreeing to be jointly responsible for each other’s basic living expenses.
3. Neither one is married.
4. Neither one is related by blood or affinity up to and including the fourth degree of consanguinity.
5. Both are of the same sex, or they are two people age 62 or more who are not of the same sex.
6. Both are choosing to share each other’s lives “in a committed relationship of mutual caring.”
7. Both are at least 18 years of age.
8. Both are jointly filing their Affidavit of Domestic Partnership.
9. Neither has been a partner in a Domestic Partnership that was terminated less than 180 days prior to the application, unless the previous partner has died.
Filing fee of $28.00
Notarization : $2.00
Certified copy: $7.00
If you are interested in a “Domestic Partnership” and meet the above requirements, please contact the City Clerk’s Office.